Salmon Pie

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

This recipe was given to me by my good friend Lisa Bergeron. Its really good and goes great served with corn!



[Sorry the pictures aren't great, my battery was about to die]

Salmon Pie

Ingredients:
4 Cups Mashed Potatoes (I add butter and cream cheese)
1 Can or Packet Salmon
Pie Crust*
Melted Butter
Salt and Pepper to taste
White Sauce

Preheat oven to 350*. Combine mashed potatoes and salmon, season to taste. Place part of pie crust into pie pan. Fill with mashed potato mixture. Cover with remaining pie crust. Brush with melted butter. Slice into top to allow steam to escape. Bake 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

While baking prepare your white sauce. I usually just place 2 T butter & 2 T Flour in a saucepan over low heat. Once the butter is melted and the flour is combined. I add milk. I don't measure but I would guess that I add about 1 cup. Then I stir with a whisk over the heat until mixture thickens. Season w/ Salt and Pepper and serve over slice of the pie.

*** For the pie crust I usually just do a refrigerator one but this time I decided to make my own and I think that the flavor turned out better! Here is the recipe I used from Cooks Illustrated.

All Butter Pie-Crust
2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (12 1/2 ounces), plus additional flour for work surface
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
16 tablespoons unsalted butter (2 sticks), cold, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and frozen for 10 minutes
3 tablespoons sour cream
1/3 cup ice water , or more if needed

1. For Pastry: Process flour, salt, and sugar together in food processor until combined, about 3 seconds. Add butter and pulse until butter is size of large peas, about ten 1-second pulses. 2. Using fork, mix sour cream and 1/3 cup ice water in small bowl until combined. Add half of sour cream mixture to flour mixture; pulse for three 1-second pulses. Repeat with remaining sour cream mixture. Pinch dough with fingers; if dough is floury, dry, and does not hold together, add 1 to 2 tablespoons ice water and process until dough forms large clumps and no dry flour remains, three to five 1-second pulses.3. Turn dough out onto work surface. Divide dough into 2 balls and flatten each into 4-inch disk; wrap each disk in plastic and refrigerate until firm but not hard, 1 to 2 hours, before rolling. (Dough can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours. Let thoroughly chilled dough stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before rolling.)

No comments:

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS